24 November 1992
Pieter Jan van Liender (1727-1779)
A View of the Wittevrouwenpoort, Utrecht, the Dome beyond
signed and dated 'P.Liender f 1750' (verso); pencil, grey wash, black ink framing lines
147 x 213 mm.; and a drawing of the castle of Oosterwijk, inscribed 'Heukelom' and dated 1750 by the same hand, 121 x 213 mm. (2)
(1) with P.&D. Colnaghi, London, 1956
(2) Anon.sale, Sotheby's Mak van Waay, Amsterdam, June 1979, lot 298
Contact Client Service
New York +1 212 636 2000
London +44 (0)20 7839 9060
Asia +852 2760 1766
(1) Utrecht, 1959/60, no. 45
(1) Zeist, 1960, no. 40
(1) Laren, 1963, no. 78
(1) Utrecht, Gemeentearchief, Jacob van Liender, Pieter Jan van Liender, Paul van Liender en de stad Utrecht, 1978, no. 16
(1) Utrecht, 1978, no. 68
(1) Another version of this in a private collection was exhibited, Utrecht, Gemeentearchief, 1978, no. 21, while a painted wall decoration by Van Liender including this view is now in the Centraal Museum, Utrecht (inv. no. 11305h).
The Wittevrouwenpoort was constructed between 1650 and 1653, probably after designs by Pieter Post. It replaced the old gate, shown in Herman Saftleven's drawing, which is included as lot ... in this sale. In 1958 the gate was demolished, on its place is now the Wittevrouwenbrug.
A drawing of the same view by Dirk Verrijk is included in this sale as lot 425
(1) See illustration on p.
Ahead of an online sale that honours their close bond, Meredith Etherington-Smith traces the roots of a 40-year collaboration
Francis Bacon's poignant celebration of George Dyer, the artist's most important subject, will star in Christie’s Post-War and Contemporary Art Evening Sale on 17 May