Little is known about the artist, who was a son of Hendrick van Cranenburgh (1754-1832), and who died near Maarseveen. An album with drawings by his father, including a study of the Castle 'De Haar', was sold in these Rooms, 10 November 1997, lot 269.
The castle 'De Haar' is first mentioned in 1391, and passed into the Van Zuylen family in 1449. It was heavily damaged during the French invasion in 1672, and slowly deteriorated afterwards. It was restored and partly reconstructed in 1891-1906 by the architect Cuypers for the Van Zuylen family, who still own the castle. Drawings dated 1744 and 1749 depicting 'De Haar' before its later ruinous state from the Van Leeuwen Collection were sold in these Rooms, 24 November 1992, lots 264 and 272. In aid of its future restoration, Christie's sold part of the castle's contents in situ on 13 October 1998