The Temple was built by the Knights Templar in 1240 and was later turned into a prison. Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette were amongst many held there durign the French revolution. The King was taken from there to be guillotined on 21 January 1793 and Marie Antoinette was removed from there on 1 August prior to her execution on 16 August. The Temple became a place of pilgrimage for royalists and in 1808 Napoleon ordered it's partial demolition. The remainder was demolished around 1860.