Count Robert Orssich and Mr. Geoffrey Cross founded the Royal Windsor Horse Show in 1943, which was staged in Windsor Great Park to raise funds for the war effort. The first show was called the 'Windsor Horse and Dog Show' though as legend has it a disobedient lurcher stole a chicken leg from the plate of King George VI, resulting in a ban on dogs at the show which lasts to this day.
The Royal family made regular appearances, indeed in the show's inaugural, and subsequent, years the Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret were competitors, coming third in a race with Princess Elizabeth driving a small phaeton, with Princess Margaret by her side in 1943 and each winning on 'Windsor Gipsy' in 1943 and 1944. Windsor Gipsy was bought by H.M. King George VI as Railton Gipsy Black from a Derbyshire breeder for his two daughters.
The Times report of day records that 7,000 people attended the Horse Show. "In the utility single driving class Princess Margaret drove a black pony, Gipsy, and had Princess Elizabeth in the utility trap. There was a large entry. When the award was announced the King stepped into the arena and presented Princess Margaret with the silver cup.
Princess Elizabeth was the driver and Princess Margaret the passenger in the non hackney section of the private driving class. They were in a pony phaeton which had belonged to Queen Victoria and Princess Elizabeth drove a dun pony, Hans, of Norwegian breed. Here, too, there was a large entry. The judges awarded the cup to the Princesses, and it was handed to them by the Duke of Beaufort."