The Natal Volunteer Transport Service was formed at Pietermaritzburg in 1899 and had an original strength of two Officers, one Warrant Officer and seven Non-Commissioned Officers, all mounted. Native Drivers, two per wagon, were employed. It was organised as a Mounted Brigade Train with mule draft for the first line and oxen for the second line. During the Natal Campaign the unit took over the supply services of the Natal Royal Rifles.
30 Medals were issued named to the Natal Volunteer Transport Service of which four bore the clasp 'Relief of Ladysmith'.