The Langman Hospital was donated by Mr. Archie Langman and consisted of 100 beds. Langman selected 'four Civil Surgeons, five medical students as dressers and a quartermaster from the medical profession and the remainder of his personnel from the St. John Ambulance Brigade. The total complement, under the charge of a R.A.M.C. Officer was four Civil Surgeons, Langman's son as secretary and treasurer, five medical students, the quartermaster and 26 subordinate ambulance officers and men and seven servants' (The Voluntary Organisations refer).
The Hospital arrived in South Africa in March 1900 and was the first private hospital to arrive in Bloemfontein after the occupation. It was in the thick of the enteric epidemic and before it was given to the Government in November 1900 treated 1211 patients.