The Irish Hospital was funded by Lord Iveagh and arrived in South Africa at the end of February 1900. It consisted of 100 beds and part of it accompanied Lord Roberts on his advance to Pretoria where it occupied the Palace of Justice. The establishment was: an Officer of the R.A.M.C. in charge, four Civil Surgeons, two R.A.M.C. Non-Commissioned Officers, four Ambulance Officers of the St. John Ambulance Brigade, 24 Ward Orderlies, a Secretary and Treasurer and seven servants.