The beginning of Madrazo's true style evolved from the artistic influences of his highly acclaimed brother-in-law Mariano Fortuny and the Belgian artist Alfred Stevens. Also moved by the Parisian atmosphere, Madrazo replaced a family tradition of painting academic works with the newly acquired enthusiasm to paint intimate Belle Époque scenes. By the late 19th Century, Madrazo had predominantly dismissed the Spanish artistic lifestyle and begun to concentrate on exhibiting at the Exposition Universelle de Peinture, which was designed to promote foreign artists in Paris. Raimundo was decorated with some of the most prestigious titles in art such as the Chevalier de la Légion d'honneur in 1878 as well as officier de la Légion d'honneur in 1889.
The artistic contributions and accomplishments of the Madrazo clan, sometimes compared to a dynasty, during the late 19th Century are remarkable. Raimundo's grandfather José Madrazo y Agudo, a student of David, was a famed history painter and accompanied Charles IV of Spain during his travel to France. He was then appointed the director of the Academy as well as the Museum in Madrid. Raimundo's father, Federico de Madrazo y Kunst who first studied in Paris with Winterhalter and even helped the found an art journal in Madrid, was considered to be one of the best portraitists of Spain. He won the gold medal at the Salon in 1855 and was awarded the Légion d'honneur in 1873. Like his father José, he became the director of the National Museum in Madrid. Raimundo's brother Ricardo Federico de Madrazo y Garreta excelled in painting the nude, genre scenes as well as portraits under the tutelage of his uncle Mariano Fortuny, and later on went as far as winning the bronze medal at the 1889 Exposition Universelle. Interestingly, it was his brother Raimondo de Madrazo y Garreta, who won the gold medal at the Exposition Universelle of the same year.
Aline Masson was Madrazo's favorite model and frequently posed for him. Another portrait of the same sitter was offered at Christie's, London, 15 February 1990, lot 174.