Newman and Guardia introduced a Self-Focussing Reflex hand camera in 1903 but this was supersceded in 1905 but their Square Reflector Reflex camera which was designed to compete directly with similar reflex camera from Ross, Kershaw and numerous other firms (although many of these were made by Kershaws).
The firm described the 'special features' of the camera: 'The Reflex Principle in its most Perfect Form in Combination with Lightness, and Easy Manipulation'. The camera showed the image in the viewfinder up to the moment of exposure 'and in the exact degree of size and brightness in which it will fall on the Plate'. This freeing of the photographer from concerns of guessing distances and estimating exposures was designed to leave 'the mind absolutely free to consider the artistic aspects of the subject'. In 1910 the rising viewing hood (on these two examples) was replaced by a more standard hinged viewing hood cover which opened to extend the leather bellows of the viewing hood.
The camera sold for £35 in quarter-plate rising to £50 for a half-plate model, both with a Zeiss Double Protar lens.
A Reflex De Luxe camera with standard focal-plane shutter for high speed work and front shutter for slow exposures and Autochrome work was also introduced in 1910.