With three-tier mahogany and gilt brass deck-watch-type box and a key.
The particularity of the present timepiece is the highly unusual addition of a carillon repeating mechanism, rarely found in a chronometer watch of any period. The carillon repeating mechanism is more complicated than the better known quarter or minute repeating function and is more commonly found in clock watches. It features three or four gongs instead of only two. The quarter hours of the present watch are stroke on four hammers onto four gongs and chime the Westminster tune.
Richard Ganthony, Sr. began his apprenticeship in 1785 and became a member of the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers in 1794, serving as Master in 1828. From 1803 to 1825, he worked out of Cannon and subsequently Lombard Street before moving to 83 Cheapside in 1825 where he was joined in business by his son, Richard Pinfold Ganthony (see F.J. Britten Old Clocks and Watches & Their Makers, p. 609, and G.H. Baillie Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World, p. 118).