The present work was one of six watercolours Cleveley executed of Richmond, one signed and dated 1791 (according to the label attached to the reverse).
Buccleuch House is one of the most attractive houses on the bank of the river Thames, it lies just a short distance from Richmond Bridge. Built by the Duke of Montagu, the house came to the Duke of Buccleuch at the end of the 18th Century. In 1842, the 5th Duke of Buccleuch entertained Queen Victoria and Prince Albert in the house. The estate was acquired in 1886 by Richmond Vestry, they resold the house and part of the grounds, and converted the remainder into The Terrace Gardens.