H.M.S. Queen, the last Royal Navy sailing battleship to be completed before the advent of steam, was launched in Portsmouth on 15 May 1839. She was originally to be named Royal Frederick, however, before she was completed she was re-named in honour of Queen Victoria.
In almost continuous commission for nearly twenty years, she was part of the fleet sent to the Black Sea during the Crimean War (1854-56) where she distinguished herself at the first bombardment of Sebastopol on 17 October 1854. H.M.S Queen, was one of many vessels involved in a warship modernisation programme during 1858 to 1859. She was installed with a 500 horse-power engine, whilst at the same time being cut down in size to a two decker. With her new increase in speed she was promptly commissioned into the Mediterrranean Fleet where she remained until finally returning home in 1864.