Robert Weir Schultz was a Scottish artictect trained in Edinburgh under Rowand Anderson before working for Richard Norman Shaw where he met W.R.Lethaby (see lots 306 and 307) who became a friend and major influence. In 1890 Schultz began his practise and was architect to the 3rd Marquess of Bute until 1900, including work at St John's Lodge, Regent's Park, London, and at Bute's seats in Scotland. From 1900 he widened his practise to include country houses, churches and hospitals including Pickenham Hall, Norfolk, St Ann's Hospital, Bournemouth and St Michael and All Angels, Woolmer Green, Herfordshire.
Schultz remained faithful to the Arts and Crafts ideals with his work absorbing local traditions without becoming too revivalistic. As a dedicated member of the Art Workers Guild, of which he was Master in 1920, he employed artist-craftsworkers such as Ernest Gimson, a fine example being at St Andrew's Chapel, Westminster Cathedral, London for which the present lot is a design. The St Andrew's Chapel was a gift from the Marquess of Bute.