De la Fresnaye executed this drawing as a study for the first version of La conquête de l'air, painted in 1913 (Seligman, no. 135; private collection). The scene recounts the artist's conversations about aeronautics with his brother Henri, who was the director of the Nieuport airplane factory in Issy-les-Moulineaux, near Paris. The third figure at right was eliminated from the second version of this subject (Seligman, no. 136; private collection) and the version définitif, also painted in 1913 (Seligman, no. 137; The Museum of Modern Art, New York).