ROLEWINCK, Werner (1425-1502). Fasciculus temporum. Edited with additions by Heinricus Wirtzburg. [Rougemont or Geneva: Heinricus Wirtzburg and perhaps Adam Steinschaber, not before 1481].
Chancery 2o (279 x 202 mm). Collation: [16; 2-58 66 7-88 96 10-128 136] title, index; author's prologue, 2/2v text, 13/6r colophon, 13/6v blank). 96 leaves. 43 lines; index in 3 columns. Types: 1:180G (title); 2:96G (text). 30 woodcuts printed from 21 blocks, woodcut roundels in chronological diagrams throughout. 6-, 3- and 2-line initial spaces. with large initial in blue on a burnished gold ground with foliate infill in red, blue and brown, three-sided border of hairline tendrils with terminals of buds and leaves in burnished gold, petals and foliage painted in blue, red, and green (slight smudging), unidentified 15th- or 16th-century coat-of-arms rather crudely drawn in brown pen-and-ink in lower border; rubricated with Lombard initials alternately red and blue (faded), a few paragraph marks in red. (Lower blank corner of first leaf torn and repaired, small patch to upper blank margin of last leaf, minor soiling at beginning and end.) 19th-century quarter marbled sheep and brown marbled paper over pasteboard, red-speckled edges (joints and extremities rubbed, inner hinges split).
Provenance: early marginalia in at least two hands (some cropping), most concerning French historical events, including a reference to flooding at Tulle on the final page (glossing the last line of text, which records floods and storms in the year 1480) -- Louis de Fénis de Lacombe (1745-1822), provost of the Cathedral of St. Martin at Tulle from 1761: inscription (De Fenis Magnus Praepositus Ecclesiae Tutellensis) -- Joseph-Jean-Baptiste Coriolis de Villeneuve (1721-1773): inscription (échangé avec le C[hanoine] de Villeneuve); possibly the book was exchanged because of the coat-of-arms on which resemble in part Villeneuve's arms (cf. Olivier 402) -- 1899 note on the edition pasted to front free endleaf, illegible signature -- The Grolier Club (New York): engraved bookplate, inventory no. 4384; typed description dated January 14, 1915 mounted on lower pastedown; note of sale ("Sold by the Grolier Club, 15 November 1968, G. Austin, librarian" [to Goodspeed's of Boston]) -- [H.P. Kraus, sold in 1969 to] -- Otto Schäfer: Schäfer/von Arnim 291; sale, Sotheby's New York, 4 December 1996, lot 281.
PERHAPS THE ONLY BOOK PRINTED AT ROUGEMONT IN THE FIFTEENTH CENTURY. The text type of this edition is known in no other piece of printing; its editor Heinricus Wirtzburg, a native of the Franconian town of Vach, identifies himself in the colophon as a monk of the Cluniac priory of Rougemont, near the eastern end of Lake Geneva. In 1479 Wirtzburg had appeared in association with Adam Steinschaber, Geneva's first printer, in the colophon of an edition of a 100-year Calendar (Lokkös 11-12, two states, dated 17 and 25 October 1479). The predominant paper stock of the present edition, Moor's Head watermark, Briquet 15636, points to a further link with Steinschaber, who used it for an edition of the Legenda aurea, dated 25 October 1480 (the last dated edition from his press), and Scholderer suggested that Steinschaber may have acted as Wirtzburg's foreman for production of the Rolewinck ("Geneva as a Centre of Early Printing," Fifty Essays, p. 188). The large title type reappears in several anonymously printed and undated editions thought to represent the earliest known printing at Chambéry; thus Wirtzburg has recently been tentatively proposed as their printer (a Sion Breviary, GW 5459; Antoninus Florentinus, Confessionale, GW 2120; and Petrus Comestor, Historia scholastica, Goff P-464: cf. Scholderer art. cit., pp. 188-89, and D. Hillard, Catalogue de la Bibliothèque Mazarine, 1986, 151 and 1566).
Wirtzburg based his edition on the Venice 1479 edition of Georgius Walch (Goff R-260). Although he claimed to have restored Rolewinck's chronicle "to its pristine state," he added several important Swiss historical events, enlarged the famous encomium on the invention of printing (13/5v), and added several new cuts to the standard Fasciculus illustrations. A brief reference to the founding of Rougemont Priory in 1104 by the local inhabitants and William, Count of Gruyère, was squeezed in as an afterthought during printing: it appears in the last line of 11/7r (f. 81) in some copies only, the present included. The edition seems to have been widely distributed, as most subsequent editions followed Wirtzburg's text.
HCR 6930; BMC VIII, 383 (IB. 38503); CIBN R-173; Fairfax Murray German 489; Polain (B) 3373; Schäfer/von Arnim 291; Schreiber 5113; Goff R-266.