Introduced into the market in 1928, the legendary "Prince" with its elegant Art Deco case design has ever since been popular amongst aficionados of the period. The models, always fitted with rectangular cases of different shapes, were advertised as "The Watch for Men of Distinction".
The strategic placement of the winding and balance wheels to each end allowed the use of a larger balance, resulting in a longer autonomy and increased accuracy. It furthermore enabled a dial design with an enlarged subsidiary seconds dial below the hour dial. From this layout derived the designation "doctor's watch" as the larger seconds dial was practical for functions such as the reading of the pulse.
The present watch is from the celebrated reference 1490 series, distinguished by the flared sides and called "Brancard" from the French word "brancard" for "stretcher". Made in the late 1940s, it is one of the last examples of the "Prince" series and stands out by its excellent, nearly unused overall condition.