The present watercolour is thought to have been executed circa 1805 and can be compared to a watercolour in the Victoria Memorial Hall, Calcutta, also dated to 1805. The Victoria Memorial watercolour is cited by Jerry Losty as the earliest view of the city showing the new Government House and depicts the Esplanade from Fort William. The watercolour is thought to have been brought back to England by Davis as it was published in 1807 as an aquatint by Edward Orme (see J. Losty, Calcutta City of Palaces, London, 1990, pl. 12). The present watercolour is probably another version, executed around the same time and is therefore one of the earliest views of the new Government House.