Beazley gives an account of the Star of the East is his book Four Liverpool Clippers as follows: 'The clipper Star of the East, launched in the early part of this year (1853) at St. John's, New Brunswick, was built by the celebrated firm of William and R. Wright, who constructed the famous clippers Constance and Miles Barton, and other vessels well known in the Australian trade. She made her first voyage across the Atlantic against strong north-east winds, in under twenty days, beating by several days two of the crack St. John ships. Her arrival at Liverpool caused the greatest sensation in nautical circles; and as she lay in the river for two days after her arrival, she was the centre of attraction to every eye, and the general conclusion all hands was that her equal had never before been seen on the Mersey. The symmetry of her appearance made the true size very doubtful, and it was only on close inspection that anyone could believe she was a ship of 1,219 tons, instead of 700. Most people took her for a yacht,from the exquisite proportions of her hull and spars, and much surprise was manifested by many when they were informed that she was a veritable merchantman, with a cargo of deals on board. She was almost immediately purchased by Mr. James Beazley of Liverpool, and as promptly engaged by Messrs. Millers and Thompson to run in their Golden Line of Australian Packets. She was purchased for #16,000, the largest sum ever paid for a colonial ship.
A brief description of her hull and fittings will be interesting. Although extremely sharp fore and aft, she has great beam, which makes her the most comfortable vessel in the sea-way. The principle dimensions of her hull are as follows: Length of keel 206ft., over all 237ft., beam 40ft. 10ins., depth of hold 22ft., register 1,219 tons, depth of keel and kelson through and through 8ft. 8ins (17in.sided). The truss-work forward is most substantial from the keel up, for the support of the sharp bow, which is ornamented with a full length female figure-head, richly gilt. She is copper-fastened throughout. Her stern is elliptical, and with the quarters, ornamented by a neat design in gilt scroll-work, the "Star" being conspicuous, and in which two circular windows are ingeniously and prettily introduced as part of the pattern. Her deck arrangements are very compact, and the houses include galleys, hospital, two forecastles for the seamen, the ship's "people" being well cared for. She has a long poop-house aft, with passages on either side, and containing two saloons. The fore is 44ft. long and is chastely ornamented in white and gilt panelling. There are ten staterooms here, fitted with every convenience. The after-cabin is 30 feet long and contains four state-rooms. This apartment is superbly finished with panellings and pilasters of mahogany, satinwood, and rosewood. A rich carpet, handsome mirrors, and chairs, tables and lounging sofas give the chief saloon an air of ease and comfort equal to a drawing room on shore. Her 'tween decks are particularly deserving of notice, and must merit approval whenever looked at. Her external appearance is very graceful, and her model is curious and well worthy of mention, being very sharp at both ends, and yet so flat on the floor as not to require any ballast in launching. Go where she will, she must command the attention of all beholders.
Wallace refers to her as follows:
The finest New Brunswick ship of the year 1853 and for a good many years before and after that date, was the Star of the East, 1219 tons ... Local authorities declare she was the most costly clipper ship ever built in St John yards ... James Beazley bought her .... and she cost him #22,683 when ready for sea. Under the command of Captain Christian she went out to Melbourne in 76 days.
The Star of the East was classed A1, 7 years, and was commanded by Captain W. Christian, and she made the round voyage, Liverpool, Melbourne, Sydney, Shanghai, Liverpool in 9 months 27 days; from Shanghai 104 days. She was wrecked in Storing Bay, South Africa, close to Miles Barton'.
Star to the East was wrecked on 12 April 1861.