A drawing exists of the same subject, dated 1893, which was illustrated in Illustrierte Zwitung on the 7th May 1896. Another version in oil was painted for Schneider's friend Karl May in 1921. This lot was one of the first really symbolist paintings of the period in Germany and was the sensation of the big Dresden Art Exhibition of 1893. At this time Schneider shared a studio with Richard Müller and Hans Unger on the upper floor of the Muhlberger department store in Dresden. The painting was bought by Konsul Muhlbauer, who was a big sponsor of these three young artists.