Although initially connected to Bol, this painting was catalogued by Werner Sumowski (loc. cit.) as from the circle of Rembrandt, datable to circa 1635-40. The subject was one of those from the Old Testament that were popular amongst the circle, and that had initially been depicted by Pre-Rembrandtesque artists. Govaert Flinck painted the subject in 1640 in a picture now in the collection of Queens University, Kingston, Canada (W. Sumowski, Gemälde der Rembrandt Schüler, 1983, II, no. 617, fig. 1020), while Jacob Willemsz. de Wet painted an interpretation as early as 1633 in a picture of which the present location is unknown (ibid., p. 2792, no. 1825, illustrated).
Both Flinck's and de Wet's compositions are, like the present picture, strongly influenced by Pieter Lastman, who painted the subject on at least two occasions: one, dated 1624, was offered at Sotheby's, Amsterdam, 14 November 1995, lot 67 (A. Tümpel, P. Lastman, 1991, no. 18, pp. 120-1); the other, dated 1627, is in the Museum Het Rembrandthuis, on loan from a private collection (ibid., no. 21, pp. 128-9, illustrated).
We are grateful to Dr. Volker Manuth for his kind assistance in cataloguing this lot.