S.N. Antonov was born in Riga where he studied at the architectural faculty of the Polytechnic Institute and later at the Academy of Arts in the studio of L.N. Benois. As a painter he exhibited from 1912 including a series of architectural views of various cities. In his native city he undertook designs for the Russian Dramatic Theatre, while exhibiting his works in Prague, New York and elsewhere. He taught at the Latvian University, where in 1944 he became a professor, and dying in his native city in 1956. The following year an exhibition of his works was shown in Riga, Tallinn, Pskov and Leningrad.