Given his name is so well-known as a globe-maker, suprisingly little appears to be recorded definitively about Georg Matthäus Seutter (1678-1757). What is known, however, is that he switched professions from working in his maternal grandfather's brewery to training as a cartographer and engraver with Johann Baptista Homann in Nuremburg. In 1707 he established himself as a cartographer, geographer and globe-maker in Augsburg. His huge variety of maps, city plans and other charts survive in great numbers, although his globes appear to be more scarce. It is quite possible that Seutter concentrated more on his maps than his globes, since he could not compete with his nearest rival and the leading globe-maker of the time, Nuremberg maker Johann Gabriel Doppelmayr (1671-1750). It is agreed that Seutter issued his first pair of globes, with a diameter of 8in., of which this is an example of the terrestrial, in around 1710. Others of his globes recorded include celestial spheres of, variously, 64cm. diameter, 64cm. circumference and 160cm. diameter.
Seutter held the title of "Imperial Geographer" for the two years before his death as a reward for his dedicating a large atlas to Emperor Charles VI. He was initially succeeded by his son Albrecht Carl and by his son-on-law Tobias Konrad Lotter, and subsequently by Matthäus Albrecht Lotter (1741-1810), the son of Tobias.