We are very grateful to Paul and Chloë Gunn for their assistance in preparing the catalogue entry for this lot.
James Herbert Gunn was born in Glasgow in 1893. Between 1909 and 1912 he studied at Glasgow School of Art, Edinburgh College of Art and in Paris at the Académie Julian. In 1912 he returned to live in Glasgow and exhibited at the Royal Scottish Academy in 1913. During 1914 Gunn travelled widely in Spain, Tangier and Gibraltar on the advice (and at the expense) of the London dealer W.B. Paterson, returning home via Paris and Étretat, which provided the inspiration for a group of paintings.
During 1926, while visiting the French town, Antibes, Gunn completed a number of paintings of the town and surrounding area. The view depicted in the present work, was painted from the east road between Antibes and Juan Les Pins, looking back towards Antibes. In this year Gunn changed his signature from H.J.Gunn to H.James Gunn; the latter being how the present painting has been signed.