Gunn visited Paris in 1914 at the instigation and expense of the art dealer, W. B. Paterson, during a trip to Spain, Tangier and Gibraltar, returning home to Glasgow via Paris and Etretat. At this time, he changed his signature to H. J. Gunn, in place of Herbert or H. Gunn. The resulting fifty two landscapes were exhibited at Paterson's Bond Street gallery in June 1919.
The present work is inscribed 'with love Jimmy and Pauline'. Pauline was the artist's second wife whom he married in Paris in August 1929 (see P. Gunn, Exhibition catalogue, Sir James Gunn 1893-1964, Edinburgh, Scottish National Portrait Gallery, 1994, pp. 36-7).