Henry William Paget, 1st Marquess of Anglesey was born on May 17, 1768, the eldest son of Henry Paget, 1st Earl of Uxbridge. Educated at Westminster school and Christ Church, Oxford, he entered Parliament in 1790 as member for Caernarvon. Having already held a command in the militia and raised a regiment of volunteers, he fought in Flanders in 1794 and in Holland in 1799, establishing a brilliant reputation as a commander of cavalry. Promoted Major-General in 1802 and Lieutenant General in 1808 he distinguished himself during Sir John Moore's retreat to Corunna. In 1795 Paget married Lady Caroline Elisabeth Villiers, a daughter of the Earl of Jersey, but a liasion with the wife of Henry Wellesley, brother of the Duke of Wellington made it impossible for him after Corunna to serve with Wellington in the Penninsular. Apart from commanding a division in the Walcheren expedition of 1809, he occupied himself with parliamentary duties until 1815 when he was made commander of the British Cavalry in the Waterloo Campaign, where he again distinguished himself by leading the great cavalry charge which checked D'Erlon's corps. Towards the end of the battle, he was struck by a cannon ball and lost a leg. For his services at Waterloo, Paget was created Marquess of Anglesey. In 1818 he was made a Knight of the Garter. He later served as Lord High Steward, Master General of the Ordinance, and Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, supporting Catholic emancipation. In 1819 he was promoted full general and in 1846 advanced to Field Marshal. He died in 1854.