The present work recalls the original by Murillo in the Cook collection, Richmond (D.A. Iniguez, Murillo, Madrid, 1981, II, p. 221; III, fig. 329). Conceived as a pair with a Mater Dolorosa, also in the Cook collection, the original works were executed by Murillo in a ten-year period circa 1665-1675. The compositions were later engraved by M. Alegre in 1798 while the paintings were in the collection of the Duque de Villahermosa. Several workshop and autograph versions of this work exist, including that in the collection of Lord Holford, Dorchester House, London (Iniguez, op. cit.).