The present compostion appears to be after a painting by Michiel Sweerts, of circa 1656-60, in the Mauritshuis, The Hague. There are some significant differences. The dog in the foreground in Sweerts' painting is replaced by a boy washing his feet in the present lot, and the two figures in the background vary in both pictures. The artist of the present lot has also painted another figure in the doorway on the left.
Sweerts had a workshop in Brussels between 1656 and 1658 and the present composition was possibly painted during this time. An attribution to Sweerts' pupil Willem Reuter has been suggested.