Lawrence's full-length portrait finished in 1818 (The Hugh Lane Municipal Gallery of Modern Art, Dublin), established the type for the official portraits of George IV both as Regent and King. In the Dublin portrait, the Prince Regent wears Garter robes with the Garter collar and badge; following his accession to the throne, the hat of the Garter is replaced by the crown. The Dublin portrait was begun in 1814 at the request of members of the Hebdomadal Board of the Univeristy of Oxford who wished to commemorate his visit to the city that year, however, it was presented by the Prince Regent to Dublin for Mansion House in 1818. In his portrait of King George IV of 1821 (Royal Collection), Lawrence replaces the Garter robes and hat of the Dublin portrait with the crown and Coronation robes. A number of versions and variations of these two official portraits were produced by Lawrence and his studio.