The exposed plates show:
1. A view of Kilmore, looking east from Sydney Street along Union Street. The church visible is St George's Presbyterian Church built in 1853. The manse next door was built in 1860.
2. Fitzgerald's timberyard, a view looking south along Sydney Street and west along Union Street. The church at the end of Union Street is Christ Church which opened for services in January 1861. The shop next to the timber yard is Peter Glover, bootmaker, who was recorded in rate books at a different address from 1863.
3. Maxfield's flour mill. The mill was built by James Maxfield in 1859/60 and sold by him in January 1863.
4. Bridge. The lack of any contextual buildings makes precise identification difficult but it is suggested that this is Quinn's Bridge which stood at the north end of Kilmore close to where the other three photographs were taken.
The subject matter of the four exposed negatives would suggest a date of c1861-1865.
Christie's would like to thank Heather Knight and the Kilmore Historical Society, www.kilmorehistory.info, for detailed research and assistance with dating these negatives.