Harumi was born in Saga Prefecture. After moving to Tokyo in 1927 at the age of nineteen he first studied Western-style oil painting (yoga) with Kajiwara Kango (1887-1958). Subsequently he entered the atelier of the Nihonga (Japanese-style) painter Ito Shinsui (1898-1972). In 1931 his painting Shukujo (Lady) was accepted for the 12th Teiten. He is considered one of the major figure painters of his time and specialized in the genre of bijinga, or beauty painting.
In 1950 Harumi became a founding member of Jitsugetsusha with Ito Shinsui. He eventually became an administrator for this same group. In 1954 he changed his name to Haruyoshi and exhibited under this name in a one-man show at the Takashimaya Department Store Gallery, Nihonbashi, Tokyo, in 1955. Begininng in 1963 Harumi served as a juror for the Nitten. Harumi exhibited continuously in all major government-sponsored exhibitions (Teiten, Shin-Bunten, Nitten, Hoshukuten, and so on) throughout his career and won numerous awards.
In 1993 the Saga Prefectural government established a memorial museum for Harumi. He died in Atami (Shizuoka Prefecture) in 1994. His eldest son, Tateishi Hideharu, who is also a Nihonga artist, lives near Atami in Yugawara.
Harumi's important 1934 painting Clover was acquired recently by the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.