Of provincial workmanship, this seal was locally made on the Eastern frontier, using an H for an N or closed B, an unusual characteristic for this period. At the end of the 11th century, Tathoul, an Armenian (T'at'oul), governed, in the name of Alexius Comnenus, the town of Marash (Germanicea), which controlled one of the main Byzantine military roads through the Anti-Taurus mountains to Antioch. The Normans under Bohemond and Richard of Salerno (known as Richard of the Principate), while participating in the First Crusade, rested at Marash on their way to Antioch and confirmed Tathoul in his authority as governor. The chronicler Albert of Aix records how Baldwin of Boulogne came to Marash at this time to be with his wife, Godvere of Tosni who was travelling with the army, and who was critically ill. She died at Marash. In the Spring of 1104 another crusader force, this time under Bohemond and the recently arrived Joscelin of Courtenay, a cousin of Baldwin II, occupied Marash and Thathoul was this time obliged to give up the town to Joscelin. He retired to Constantinople.