Suriname and Saramacca were an almost identical pair of single-screw passenger-cargo steamers built by Nederlandsche Scheepsbouw Maatschappij at Amsterdam in 1908. Ordered for the West Indian services of the Royal Netherlands Steamship Company, Suriname was registered at 3,275 tons gross (2,103 net) and Saramacca slightly more at 3,284 tons gross (2,110 net). Each vessel measured 336½ feet in length with a 42 foot beam and was powered by a triple-expansion 3-cylinder engine capable of 13 knots. After five years in service, both ships were sold to the British-owned Tropical Fruit Company in 1913 and re-registered in Belize. Both survived the Great War and, in the early 1920s, passed into American ownership as part of the fleet of United Fruit of New York. Still trading in the mid-1930s, neither ship is listed by 1939 suggesting both had been scrapped during the shipping slump which preceded the Second World War.