The Delph Collection: an assembly of eight marine and stationary steam engines mounted on a common showstand, six electrified for demonstration with independent chain drives
1) a single cylinder Corliss valve mill engine with lagged cylinder approximately 2in. bore x 2½in. stroke, main stop valve, mechanical lubricator, Corliss trip gear, the inlet valves with dashpots, trunk type crosshead guide, disc crank, lubricators with sight glasses, big end pressure lubricator, belt driven Watt governor with damper, spoked flywheel and scotch crank driven feed pump, finished in green and polished brightwork.
2) a single cylinder horizontal mill engine with lagged cylinder approximately 1½in. bore x 1½in. stroke, eccentric, quadrant and rod operated overhead piston valves, mechanical lubricator, trunk type crosshead guide, disc crank, lubricators with sight glasses, big end pressure lubricators, spoked flywheel with shaft governor and other details, finished in green red and polished and plated brightwork - 9 x 24in. (22.8 x 61cm.)
3) a Stuart three cylinder triple expansion vertical reversing condensing launch engine with lagged cylinders ½in, 1in. and 1½in. bores x 1in. stroke, draincocks, mechanical lubricator (disconnected), handwheel worm and quadrant operated Stephenson's link reverse, LP and HP crosshead driven air and circulating pumps and appropriate pipework, counterbalanced crankshaft, disc and spoked flywheels, condenser, hot well and scotch crank driven feed pump and other details, finished in green and polished brightwork --10 x 11½in. (24.4 x 29.2cm.)
4) a Stuart five pillar twin cylinder vertical reversing marine engine with cylinders 1in. bore x 1in. stroke, draincocks, handlever and quadrant operated Stephenson's link reverse, counterbalanced crankshaft and disc flywheel, finished in green and polished brightwork --7½ x 7½in. (19 x 19cm.)
5) a Stuart 10v single cylinder stationary engine and belt driven dynamo and lamp
6) a small bore single cylinder two pillar staionary engine with scotch crank and disc flywheel finished in green, red and polished brightwork -5 x 3½in. (12.7 x 9cm.)
and two shuttle valve single cylinder feed pumps, a hand feed pump and a dummy boiler.
All mounted on a common base and show stand with electric start buttons, lamps, descriptions and drawings of various types of steam engine and plate engraved The Delph Collection Handcrafted Model Factory and Marine Steam Engines Presented by E.K.Delph Phoenix, Arizona, 1981
See Colour Illustration and Details (10)