The ex-Bruce Meyer
1933 ROLLS-ROYCE PHANTOM II NEWPORT TOWN CAR
COACHWORK BY BREWSTER
Chassis No. 298AJS
Engine No. TBA
Black over silver
Engine: six cylinder in line, overhead valve, 7,668cc, 130bhp at 3,000rpm; Gearbox: four-speed manual; Suspension: front and rear, semi-elliptic leaf springs with hydraulic shock absorbers; Brakes: four wheel drum. Left hand drive.
When first introduced, the Phantom II was touted as "the fastest luxury car in the world, providing never before accomplished speed with comfort, speed with safety, speed with quietness and speed with durability."
Rolls-Royce produced 125 left hand drive chassis, of which 90 were shipped to New York to be adorned with elegant coachwork by the esteemed craftsmen of Brewster & Co. In 1929 the Rolls-Royce Derby Works introduced their Phantom II. The most notable changes were in the chassis and suspension, which now included front and rear semi-elliptic leaf springs in addition to hydraulic shock absorbers on all wheels. The innovative 'one-shot' Springfield chassis lubrication system that supplied oil to every moving part on the frame was also included on the new Phantom II model. The engine, clutch housing and gearbox were now assembled in unit and the previous open propeller shaft and spiral bevel final drive were replaced by the Hotchkiss drive with hypoid bevel rear axle. The engine had been reworked internally with a new aluminum cylinder head. This total package provided far greater performance, with better handling and braking that put many sports cars to shame.
Not only was the Phantom II remarkably fast for its size but it possessed a certain grace of proportion not previously seen on a Rolls-Royce and, indeed, not apparent since. This was achieved by a reduction in the height of the car resulting from underslung rear springs, combined with the extremely long, tapered bonnet and the fact that the steering wheel was almost exactly half way between the axles.
298AJS was first delivered to Mrs. E.M. Horne on 4 November 1933. Many years later, it also spent time in the collection of well-known California enthusiast, Bruce Meyer, and has only traveled just over 36,000 miles since new. It has been well cared for over the years, properly maintained, and displays a wonderful patina. A modern oil filter and fuel pump has been added for driving convenience, with all of the original parts retained. In excellent running order, the new owner of this car will find it is eligible to participate in all R-R.O.C. and CCCA tours and events, and it should provide many years of enjoyment.