5 October 1999
The Government House, Fort St.George (Abbey 420 no.35; Archer II, pl.9) )
Western Entrance of Fort St.George (Abbey 420 no.38; Archer II, pl.11)
hand-coloured aquatints, March 1798, September 1798 [watermarked 'J. Whatman 1794'], on thin paper, very light occasional spotting to second plate, affecting sky area and plate margin
each P.740 x 550mm.
March 1792: "The Government house is within the Fort; here the business of the English East India Company is transacted, but the residence of the Governor is at the distance of a mile and a quarter from Madras". Madras, the first of the important British settlements of the Company, was founded in 1639. Within the small fort, the Government House was erected. (2)
Contact Client Service
New York +1 212 636 2000
London +44 (0)20 7839 9060
Asia +852 2760 1766
Western entrance..... was executed after sketches drawn on the Daniells' return to Madras in jan 1793 - ? was the first plate too?
spotting very slight - worth putting?
Specialist Paul Gallois on two wildly different yet equally beautiful 18th-century desks — one made in France, the other in Germany, both offered in London
The Tibor Collection includes 19 soldier vases, bold and colossal forms admired by specialist Becky Maguire