Colonel Robert Myddelton Biddulph DL (1805-1872) was the son of Charlotte Myddelton and Richard Biddulph (see lots 61 and 107). He was Lord-Lieut of Denbighshire (he is seen in the uniform of this office in the present picture), and Colonel of the Militia, as well as being Liberal M.P. for the county for twenty years. It was he who employed the architect Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin to carry out extensive work at Chirk. Colonel Robert married Fanny Mostyn Owen (see lots 58-60) in 1832.
Graves was the second son of Thomas North, 2nd Baron Graves, and his wife Lady Mary Paget, sister of 1st Marquess of Anglesey. He established a portrait practice, and through family connections this soon became very successful with commissions from figures in high society and royalty.