Filed in the Berenson library under Baldovinetti, this work was published as by the Master of Marradi by Everett Fahy (loc. cit.), to whom we are very grateful for his assistance in cataloguing this lot, and who has informed us that the possibly period copy in the Minneapolis Institute of Arts (acc. no. 35.7.58) was sold to the dealer Victor Spark, New York, in 1956.
Also known as the Apolloni Sacrum Master, the Master of Marradi was first identified by Federico Zeri ('la mostra "Arte in Valdelsa" a Certaldo', Bolletino d'arte, XLVIII, July-September 1963, pp, 249-50). a follower of Domenico Ghirlandaio akin to the work of Bartolommeo di Giovanni, the anonymous Master worked in Florence until late in his career when he moved to the Mugello, where he worked in a mountain church called the Badia del Borgo near the town of Marradi on the road from Florence to Faenza.