This overmantel formed part of the fireplace designed by A.W.N. Pugin circa 1845 for the Ante Room in the East or Family Wing. Conceived as a book-lined Library and Ante Room to the Bow Drawing Room, the fireplace was originally probably close in design to that in the Bow Drawing Room, with encaustic tiles lining the aperture supplied by Minton (Lot 118). When the new Library was created in the 1880's by Richard Myddelton (d.1913), the bookcases from Pugin's Ante Room (just visible in the Hon. Sarah Wombwell's interior of the Lower Corridor lot 117) and presumably also the chimneypiece were removed.