The last vessel named Volage to serve in the Royal Navy was one of the eight 'V' (Vigilant) class of so-called utility destroyers ordered in 1941, all of which were completed by 1944. The order for Volage went to White's at Cowes where she was launched on 15th December 1943. Displacing 1,730 tons (2,530 fully loaded), she measured 363 feet in length with a 35½ foot beam and carried a main armament of 4-4.7in. guns with 8-21in. torpedo tubes. With a top speed of 36½ knots, she proved a highly useful addition to the fleet although her war service was limited as it was mid-1944 before she was commissioned. Surviving hostilities, she then had her bows blown off when she hit a mine in the Corfu Channel -- an International waterway off Albania -- whilst on patrol in company with H.M.S. Saumarez in 1946. Towed to and repaired at Malta, Volage was then converted to a frigate in 1952 and stayed in commission for a further twenty years until sold out of the Service in 1972.