Constructed in 1913 in the Danzig yard of F. Schichau for the Norddeutscher Lloyd Line and named Columbus, she was 751 feet long with an 83 foot beam and weighed 34,351 tons, making her the largest ship to be driven by steam reciprocating engines, capable of a service speed of 19 knots. After the Great War, she was surrendered to Britain as war reparations and bought from the British Government by White Star. Having been refitted, her maiden voyage to New York took place on 15th February 1922 under her new name of Homeric. Her last Atlantic voyage took place on June 31st 1932; however she remained in service cruising until September 1935 under the newly merged management of Cunard and White Star. She was broken at Inverkeithing in 1936.