The most celebrated of all Jacobite Clubs - the Cycle Club, or to give its full title the Cycle of the White Rose - was founded on 10th June 1710, the anniversary of the Old Pretender's birthday, by Sir Watkin Williams Wynn of Wynnstay, a well-known Jacobite. For a detailed discussion of the Cycle Club which continued in existence for almost one hundred and fifty years, see Geoffrey B. Seddon, op. cit.(1995), p. 64 and pp. 67-68.
The present glass is one of the hoard of eleven Jacobite glasses found at Oxburgh Hall, Norfolk, the seat of the Bedingfeld family, in September 1907 by Mr. C.E. Jerningham. For a discussion on this find see Geoffrey B. Seddon, op. cit., pp. 62-64.