Built in 1623, 'of white marble, finely polished and finished with the utmost delicacy' this pavilion contained lattice work which excited the Daniells' particular admiration (Oriental Scenery). The lattice work is in a Gujarati style, but otherwise the pavilion is typical of the imperial architecture of Jahangir. A building of 64 columns (and hence its name), it was perhaps originally a hall, or resting place: only later was it converted into a burial site. The Daniells mistakenly thought it was the mausoleum of Amir Khusero, and it is thus entitled in the aquatint version (Oriental Scenery, vol. III, no. 6, published 1 December 1801). A 14th century poet, Amir Khusero is in fact buried in the compound of the dargah of the saint Shaikh Nizamu'd-Din Auliya, whose disciple he was. The compound is near to the Chaunsath Khamba, in the district of Delhi still known as Nizamuddin. According to William's journal, the Daniells visited the site on 16 February 1789, their first day in Delhi. Having no authoritative reference book the Daniells had to rely on local residents for information regarding a building's history and it is remarkable that they were not misled about a building's history more often.
In the foreground, an Indian dignitary has emerged from the tomb and is returning to his jhaleedar, a type of palanquin, and waiting bearers.
Another version of this watercolour was sold in India Observed, The P. & O. Collection of Watercolours of India by Thomas Daniell, R.A., and William Daniell, R.A., Christie's London, 24 September 1996, lot 54, (£54,300).