During the 1830s Boys shared a studio with William Callow R.W.S. (1812-1908) in the rue du Bouloy, very close to the rue de Bailleul. It is therefore not surprising that Boys depicted this scene on several occasions and indeed another version of this picture was sold in these Rooms, 18 November 1980, lot 179. The scene shown here depicts the corner of the Hôtel Schomberg which was demolished in 1852. Another version of this subject, also executed in 1831 is in the Musée Carnavalet. For the lithograph of 1835 most of the major elements seen here were retained, however Boys substitutes a hurdy-gurdy man for the donkey.
The subject was lithographed for T.S. Boys, Architecture Pittoresque dessinée d'après Nature par A. Rouargue et T. Boys, 1835, pl. 39 as 'Maison de l'Amiral Coligny'.