The Pilgrim was built in 1874 in Medford, Massachusetts. Her homeport was Boston until 1890, when the vessel was sold to Daniel Bacon of New York. Her original owner was J.H. Hastings of Boston. The top flag is the House flag of Daniel Bacon, New York. Her gross tonnage was 956.68. length 172.4 feet. and depth 21 feet. The ship is listed in the registry of vessels of Medford, Massachusetts.
Thomas Willis was born in Connecticut. He worked for a silk embroidery thread maker in 1870, Brooklyn, New York. His marine paintings had sails of silk and satin with painted backgrounds. He was active from 1880-1910 and died in New York in 1912. He worked with and was a contemporary of Antonio Jacobsen.