Named for Edward the Black Prince's great victory over the French in 1346, H.M.S. Cressy was a screw-powered three-decker built at Chatham dockyard. Laid down as a pure sailing vessel in 1846 and converted to screw-propulsion in 1852, she was launched in July 1853 and entered service the next year. Displacing 3,707 tons and measuring 198½ feet in length with a 55 foot beam, she was fitted with a Maudslay engine which gave her a cruising speed of 7 knots under steam. Armed with 80 guns of varying calibre, her first active service was in the Baltic against the Russians in 1854-55 after which she did a term in the Mediterranean before being paid off and laid up in reserve in 1861. Never an entirely satisfactory conversion to screw power, she had a short sea-going career and was sold for breaking in 1867.