The present chairs have probably been at Burley-on-the-Hill, the great Italianate mansion, home of the Finch family, Earls of Nottingham and Winchilsea, since the 18th Century. The 9th Earl of Winchilsea (d. 1826) was a patron of John Mayhew and William Ince, the Golden Square cabinet-makers, payments to whom are recorded at Hoare's bank. Among the furniture that Mayhew and Ince supplied, was the commode, sold by E.R. Hanbury, Esq., Burley-on-the-Hill, in these Rooms, 6 July 1989, lot 147. It is possible therefore that the present chairs were also supplied by Mayhew and Ince.