Ross had first introduced a twin lens camera in the early 1890s and in 1896 a New Model Twin-Lens camera was introduced which was lighter and smaller in size and with dividing front doors. The original model (this lot) was offered in sizes from 3¼ x 3¼ inches to whole-plate and the design was: 'based on a modification of the Cameras will full size Finders supplied for years past...their aim being to produce, regardless of cost, a simple Hand Camera free from any mechanical complications, which would combine all the advantages and precision of an ordinary Camera upon a stand'. The upper section acted as the finder and the lower as the camera. The two lenses were stated to be 'accurately paired'.
Ross claimed that: 'after an extended use by Travellers in all parts of the world this Camera has been found to give the greatest satisfaction under the most trying conditions, in frigid and tropical countries alike. It is therefore recommended with the greatest confidence for the use of every Photographer or Traveller who aim is to obtain a perfect negative suitable for either direct printing or enlarging.'