Property from the Collection of Duca Don Lorenzo Avati di S. Pietro (LOTS 387-404)
Don Placido de Sangro, Duca di Martina, began collecting ceramics in 1860, adding to his family's patrimony. After his death in 1901, half of the collection was inherited by the Ducessa Donna Laura Avati di S. Pietro, his niece and the current owner's grandmother, from whom it was inherited. The other half was donated by the family to the Italian government and is permanently on exhibit at the Museo Nazionale della Ceramica Duca di Martina, housed in the Villa della Floridiana, Naples.
Our thanks to Prof. Angela Caròla-Perrotti for her assistance with some attributions.