The shepherdess figure is typically paired with a figure of a shepherd. Such a pair was supplied by the sculptor Edward Hurst for Charlecote Park, Warwickshire in 1718 (illustrated in J. P. S. Davis, Antique Garden Ornament, Woodbridge, 1991, p. 59, plate 1:25). Similar rustic figures of a hoe-bearing shepherd and his fruit-gathering companion were also executed in the mid-18th century by the Hyde Park sculptor John Cheere (d.1787). A pair of these figures, acquired by the Victoria & Albert Museum in 1896 is now at Kew Gardens, London. Another painted pair was formerly at Tyningham, Scotland; a fourth pair was in the possession of Mallett at Bourdon House (see G. Jekyll, Garden Ornament, Woodbridge, 1994, p. 123 and J. P. S. Davis, op. cit., 1991, p. 65, color plate 18).
The statues once formed part of the garden ornaments at Hatchford Park in Surrey which was acquired by Henry Samuelson in 1906 after he succeeded his father. The London auctioneers Phillips, Son & Neale conducted a nine-day sale on the premises from 17-24 March 1924 which included other garden statuary such as 'An old lead statuette of a Lady carrying mask, by Sir Robert Cheese' (lot 1843) which had previously come from a Christie's sale in 1909. The present statues do not appear in either sale catalogue. Hatchford Park has been a school since 1947.