8 December 2005
TWO ETRUSCAN GOLD APPLIQUES
CIRCA LATE 6TH CENTURY B.C.
One in the form of a goddess with an archaic smile, wearing a chiton and himation, her drapery held in her left hand, crowned by a filigree diadem with drop-shaped rays and a pendant necklace, a twisted lock of hair falling over each breast, the figure likely once set into a rectangular plaque; the other adorned with three rosettes formed of sheet embellished with filigree, centered by a granule within beaded wire frames, perforated twice for attachment
Goddess: 1¾ in. (4.4 cm.) high (2)
with Atlantis Antiquities, New York, 1988 (Greek and Etruscan Art of the Archaic Period, pp. xi, 66-67, 77, fig. 62).
Contact Client Service
New York +1 212 636 2000
London +44 (0)20 7839 9060
Asia +852 2760 1766
For related plaques, each centered by similar figures of the goddess, see the examples now in the Villa Giulia, Rome and the British Museum, nos. 193-194 in Cristofani and Martelli, et al., L'Oro degli Etruschi.
THE PROPERTY OF A U.S. PRIVATE COLLECTOR
A look at how The Frick, LACMA, The Met, The Bass, The Guggenheim and others are making their treasures available online
Everything you need to know about the artists, print processes, studios and terminology — plus a whole lot more